- keep arranging your props until you feel good (it sometimes takes her quite a long time)
- make things uneven - spacing between things colours number of objects, edges, direction of strokes, warm and cool colours
- avoid awkward kissing of objects (2 apples just touching)
- the rule of thirds (divide the canvas into thirds (vertically and horizontally and the sweet spot is where the lines meet
- fool around with the light
And most of all don't be afraid to break the rules.
Exercise: "Take a simple object, some pieces of paper and make different compositions.
NOTE: she said take a simple object so I pulled out a salt shaker. Salt shakers are quite complicated but I really enjoyed doing this exercise. It just took me longer than I would of liked. I am having a show and in conjunction gave a talk. The title was painting in a series. This little project shows that even with a one object you can see me getting more comfortable painting it.
No salt was spilt in the making of this art.